This officer and gentleman took a bet with some of his compeers that he would ride through the whore lips Arcade at mid-day in full military tog, including carbine, sword, and lance, and he did it entering at Buchanan Street and emerging at Argyle Street.
The Argyle family, like another ducal line, are unduly commemorated in our city, which was never in any way indebted to them, and their record does not read well.
Merryflats, rather a strange title for a poorhouse.
The walls were thick, and the floor, which had been flagged, was about three feet below street level.He died at Helensburgh, 30th September, 1824.Bedford lane, previously known as Puddock Row, this title doubtless having arisen from the multiplicity of frogs in the district, these little reptiles always having been numerous in the open lands on the south-side of the river, particularly so in the districts of Little Govan.Bardowie street, named for the estate of this name in the parish of Baldernock and county of Stirling, on the margin of Bardowie Loch.Thus a close was generally taken to be a passage about five feet wide, but a pen close was always considered to be wide enough for the passage or a horse and cart.Struthers street was named for Robert Struthers, brewer who was the first Provost of Calton.The public threw it down, only to be rebuilt, this time surmounted with a cheveux de frise and a watch-tower.Whitevale street was named in compliment after Whitehill House.Pavements in this district up till this date were unknown, and, without even the Auld Reekie warning of "Gardie loo buckets of slops were shot out from front doors on to the common thoroughfare, so that wayfarers had to be wary or they got soused.
The name arose from a wooden cross which stood near the spot where the bye-road to the Clyde, now Finnieston Street, branched off from the main highway leading from the Bishops Castle to Partick.Bagnal had a pottery here who made a speciality in the manufacture of tureens; hence the name.York street was named for the Duke of York, who was for a time Commander-in-Chief of the British Army, with frequent disastrous results.Dale street (Bridgeton named after David Dale, of Lanark Mills.Mongah (my friend or dear One) and this stuck to him - hence the name Saint Mungo.It was on him in an instant, and in rushing past one of the boys s, in desperation, grabbed the reverend gentlemans nether limb with disastrous results.The sect were not popular at the time, and it was commonly remarked that among the things not generally known in the city one of them was that the highway to destruction was an outside stair in Union Street.Commerce street was at first called Queen Street.We dont really trust them.Partick, of old Perdyec, from the Gaelic aper dhu ec, meaning the place at the confluence or mouth of the dark river.It was virtually a subway or tunnel, the side was of stone and arched with brick, extending from the south-east exit of Glasgow Green to Rutherglen Bridge, and was constructed by Alexander Allan of Newhall to give him unbroken access from his demesne to the.
He died in 1862, and was succeeded by his son, the late.S.Dixon.